But did you know that October is also a time for celebrating Orthodontics?
Every year, the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recognizes October as a time to raise awareness of the benefits of orthodontic treatment.
In a month full of sweet treats, it’s more important than ever to be mindful of your braces and/or your orthodontic appliances. As an alternative to the sugar filled Halloween treats we have a fun recipe provided by the AAO that you and your family will love.
Spooky Spider Web Bean Dip
(Makes 10-12 servings)
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 big handful of cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream
- ½ a jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- And additional ¼ cup sour cream for making the spider web topping
1. Place ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
2. Scoop bean dip into a round bowl.
3. In a small Ziploc bag, place the additional sour cream. Making sure it is all
pushed toward one corner, and seal bag squeezing out as much air as
possible. Cut the corner off of the bottom of the bag and pipe the sour
cream in concentric circles on top of the bean dip. Start with a small circle
in the middle and make bigger circles around it until you reach the edge
of the bowl. Take a knife, start in the center, and drag it out toward the
edge of the bowl across the sour cream and repeat to make the web. Place
a plastic spider in the center for decoration.
4. Serve with sliced cucumbers and sliced peppers for dipping
If you have any questions about what foods are best during orthodontic treatment, feel free to ask during your next visit!