Here are a few things you need to remember when receiving your retainer from Dr. Hinesly:
- You are instructed to wear your retainer for a year full time, which means 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After a year, you will need to wear it 2-3 nights a week for your lifetime.
- Don't fold it in your napkin or leave it on the table at a restaurant. Garbage cans don't make happy hunting grounds.
- Don't put your retainer in your pocket. You might sit on it and break it. OUCH!
- Take your retainer out when swimming in a lake or ocean. If it falls out, you may not be able to find it. Wearing it in a swimming pool is OK.
- Animals and younger children love to play with it. Please make sure your retainer is in your mouth at all times.
- Your retainer should only be out of your mouth when brushing.
- Your lower retainer may be a fixed retainer bonded to your teeth. It is not considered permanent and can be broken or detached from your teeth if you are not careful with it.
- Bring your retainer to check-up appointments. If anything happens to your retainer (i.e. it doesn't fit, it's broken, or it's lost) please call us ASAP. If your lower bonded retainer wire comes out, keep it and bring it to your next appointment for rebonding.
- The first set of retainers is included in your treatment fee. Any repair to or replacement of your retainer, or rebonding of your lower retainer, will result in an additional charge to your account.
- Keep things clean! Be sure to brush your teeth without your retainers in. Do not boil your retainer or put it in hot water. Brush your retainer with a toothbrush using toothpaste, water or non-alcohol mouthwash.