Monday, April 17, 2017
1. Dust off the sports gear. Find a kick a ball, throw a Frisbee, shoot hoops, whatever sports activity that you and your family enjoy doing.
2. Get dirty in the yard. Mow the grass. Pull weeds. Till flower beds. Replant. Cut back. Find the fun in getting sweaty, and teach your kids how to manage the landscaping while you do it.
3. Explore the outdoors. Hike a trail and check out the plants budding out of the ground.
4. Go to a baseball game. The beginning baseball season is one of the annual markers that warm weather is just around the corner. If you don't have it in your budget for pricey pro tickets, look into local league games, college, or even high school games to watch.
5. Make Something. Whether you're experimenting with a new recipe or creating a new craft, making something new will give your kids a sense of satisfaction.
After being cooped up all winter, everyone's ready for some fresh Spring air. We hope you will step into the warm weather with suggestions of fun activities for the entire family.
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup water
12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought is ok)
8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 cups fresh strawberries
- Prepare the lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
- Slice the cake into 3/4-inch slices. Brush lemon syrup over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with the sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the cream. Continue beating until the mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 quart size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spreading to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.